Comments

Vince Gonzales
02/26/2013 10:59pm

Is it really "New"? If anything, there have been constraints placed on the process and obstacles that all Genuine Chiefs will be forced to work with and around. I would argue that a lot of important lessons are lost with time constraints on Final Night, and that not being able to wear CPO Pride Gear (to include CPO SELECTEE Shirts for the PCPOs) is a major downer. I distinctly remember being both in awe and envious of the PO1s that were selected each year since they got to wear the shirts and go through the process of Induction/Initiation/Transition. That little bit that set them apart is forever gone with the PTU requirements of this year’s guidance.

As for the continuation of PO1's training during PHASE II; I think that there is some value LOST, specifically since you will have PO1s who don't advance and will have to continually attend the required training which can impact their daily taskers. You can theoretically equate the constant training to that of the Annual NKO GMTs of yesteryear that had to be done annually and were time consuming (especially if aboard ship and with limited bandwidth).

And as a Shipboard Sailor who has spent more than half of my career Haze Gray and Underway- I am more perturbed that there is a rule against profanity. I feel that (even though it is understandably unprofessional) there is a time and place for vulgar language, and there are important opportunities throughout the season where it is more than appropriate. And there is definitely a difference between telling someone that they are acting like an Effing Idiot and that they ARE an Effing Idiot. (See, I’m trying to maintain my professionalism, even in this posting by watching my tone/language…)

Lisa Guiza
03/10/2013 7:13pm

I agree and disagree with Vince.

I agree that CPO 365 always was - in that we are Chiefs 24/7/365. It wasn't like we turned it on and off on a whim. This program just makes it more formal. It gives a construct for those that needed it. And there are those that need it. However, the "Chiefly" things we do everyday need to continue. I am concerned that people will think that being a Chief is just those items covered in CPO 365....it is so much more. It was those items that were explored during the weeks leading up to pinning. Since that has been "sundowned" I am concerned that future Chiefs will miss a big part of what a Chief is....and how the Mess works.

I also agree that there has to be a distinction for those that are advanced to Chief. Those that are not will be counseled and mentored. But to continue training.....I agree that there is value LOST. I have to agree that I would like to be able to wear CPO Pride shirts during PT. Heck, when I was a Selectee I was proud to wear that shirt as well. Something different. Something that set us apart, but was also part of the Selectee group.

I will have to respectfully disagree with the profanity. I believe that there are many that stop listening when you start with the vulgar language. I truly believe that you can still make your point without profanity....and make it something they will remember. Just like with yelling, sometimes a whisper is more effective. (and Vince, I appreciate you checking your tone and maintaining your professionalism in this post!)

IS1 Shannon Naranjo
03/22/2013 1:32am

I value the CPO 365 Program because we learn management skills that transfer to the civilian world too. People willingly pay tuition or seminar fees to attend leadership training that is not as practical or thoughtful as the lessons learned at CPO 365.

I got a kick out of the research that my fellow Sailors found that was the same information that I found; we differed in our understanding of it. I also value collaboration more than I did previously. We compared notes after the class was over on our way out the door.

Thank you for investing in this program ISCS, it is important and will improve ALL of our Sailors.

Sincerely,
IS1 Naranjo

CTI Chen
03/25/2013 8:52pm

The CPO 365 course may be helpful to some sailors, but it has some merits lost as far as making chief. The course help those who can follow the requirements without having deficiencies in language,learning,or training retaining.Most sailors are very capable in their jobs and cannot make chief because of these deficiencies.Because someone does well in a class environment doesn't mean they are the best qualified for chief... .

Lisa Guiza
03/31/2013 7:01pm

CT1 Chen - You are right....Everything there is to being a Chief is not covered in CPO 365. However, CPO 365 does give a framework to build upon. You need a good foundation. As the name implies, this training isn't supposed to be one or two days in a classroom. It is supposed to be 365 days a year. Even as a Reservist, you don't stop being a Sailor when drill weekend is over. On the contrary, that is when the real work begins.

Also, take a look at your Eval, and the ChiefEval....those qualities that you need to stand out in are not "classroom" qualities.

Being in a group environment when exploring some of the concepts may help some, and allow others to support their peers.

You are correct. Doing well in a classroom does not qualify you to be a Chief. It does give you an opportunity to ask questions in a non-threatening environment. It does allow you to run real life scenarios by others to determine the best course of action. It does help you solidify the foundation of knowledge you will need to rely on if/when you are promoted.

CPO 365 is what you make it. It will be helpful to you if you allow it to be helpful. Being involved in the process is the first step to making it a success.

IS1 Edward St. Pierre
04/04/2013 12:04am

I'm still wrapping my mind around everything that CPO 365 is because I have only been one time but I'm really enjoying it so far. I find that meeting/training format for learning aspects of a good leader is excellent and covers important information that might otherwise be missed on the job. I also feel like it is a good opportunity to interact with other First Classes that we don't see on a regular basis. It gives us a chance to learn from each other, and learn new techniques and traits of a leader together. I must say though- coming in on the ground floor and thinking about three years or more of taskers is a little daunting!

CTI1 Yi, E
04/05/2013 6:53pm

Needless to say, leadership training is vital. I've gone thru many, namely First Line Leadership, PLDC (in AR) and various small PO classes. I hope CPO365 evolves well and be an efficient medium. I hope it doesn't become an "extra" material but somehow blends in or lets us blend in to the actual daily tasks we perform at our job.

PS1 Alberto Caraballo
05/01/2013 11:10pm

I've taken the CPO 365 in two places, at my drill site and COMPACFLT HQ, and have been pleased with the different and sometimes more real world leadership lessons than other classes I have taken in my Navy career. I know that this class alone won't make me a CPO but it will let us see how the Chiefs "do", and is already instilling the value that I will not do this alone.

06/03/2013 10:51am

Aren't we supposed to be training leaders in the first place? Not just on the PO1 level but across all pay grades. How about some Sailor 365 instead?

Senior E
06/03/2013 1:22pm

Good point Jones - the site is open to all for that reason. Perhaps we can change the title from FCPO to Enlisted Leaders. Vr, Evil E

UT1 Kelly
07/11/2013 11:49am

If you are being threatened with UCMJ, and Page 13 entries for not attending, should the CPO Mess in charge of the program also receive these for not following the MCPON guidance on implementing the program? Last I checked a culture of fear is not what we want.
Two: I have now done Phase one twice this year because of the failure of Leadership to do their jobs. Their problems on understanding how this works only affects my family life, deployment work up schedule, and the desire to just walk away from the Navy period.

PS1 Thomson
08/20/2013 2:21pm

Two things came to mind when I read your post UT1. The first is that the Navy is not a democracy. You do what you're told. If you're told you must volunteer to complete the 'voluntary' CPO365 program, you get in and get it done. You do what you're told and you need not 'fear' a negative Page 13. If you get an opportunity to do phase 1 twice, you will probably find yourself in a position to help your shipmates, something some of us desperately need.

The second thing that came to mind was your assertion that leadership was at fault for you having to complete phase 1 twice. Could you expand on your problem so this becomes a learning experience for others instead of just a gripe for you? I'm a brand-new E-6 so I'm hungry for any assistance in becoming a better E-6 and future E-7 by learning from the mistakes and experiences of others.